Monthly Archives: June 2012
There are so many reasons why joining 4-H is a fantastic idea that we couldn’t possibly list them all. Below is only a short list of the Top 10 Reasons to Join 4-H. If you are not already a member of Houston County 4-H, visit our Join Now! page to find out how to become one today. If you’re already a member of 4-H, then you know all the great reasons why kids and teens should join. Start sharing all those reasons with friends and encourage them to become a 4-H member too!
1. There’s always something to do. From learning how to survive outdoors to just spending time with friends, 4-H never has a dull moment.
2. Learning is fun with us. Whether you’re learning about marine life at Jekyll Island Camp or learning how to make insect candy at Day Camp, we make being smarter so much fun.
3. Making new friends is fun and easy. With kid and teen members from all over the U.S. and Georgia, there are so many different personalities of boys and girls for you to meet.
4. Camp is totally awesome. With separate camps for Cloverleafs, Junior, and Senior members, you can spend a week at camp during the summer withfriends and activities you will never forget.
5. Create a portfolio of your interest. We will help you to build a portfolio of your interest that will create a lasting project for you and others to remember.
6. Become a District Officer. You can have the chance to become a leader for your age group of 4-H’ers of Houston County.
7. Be active. There’s always an opportunity to participate in active hobbies, from swimming at Camp to learning to use a compass for Forrestry Teams, 4-H is always on the move!
8. Learn about animals and nature. Whether you’re showing livestock at the Georgia National Fair or learning about marine life at Camp, you’ll discover a love for the environment.
9. Explore your interests. With so many activities at 4-H, joining 4-H is the perfect way to connect with your own interests.
10. You’ll never forget 4-H! The memories you create at 4-H will last a lifetime. You will never forget the experience.
Houston County 4-H is seeking adults (18 years and older) to fill various needs within the organization. Presently, there are only two permanent full-time staff members to serve the nearly 800 enrolled Houston County 4-H youth members. Providing after-school, day camp, and summer camp activities to such a large population creates unique challenges, such as limited time available for leading special interest activity groups and working to increase our presence in the community.
This is where you come in. There are many opportunities waiting for serious, responsible adults like you! Below is a brief list of possible ways in which you can make a difference in a child’s life by volunteering with Houston County 4-H. The opportunities are divided into short-term and long-term commitments. We are open to any ideas not listed below. Just contact our office to discuss your volunteer interest.
Short-Term Volunteer Opportunities:
- · Chaperone for field trips, special events, summer camp, or weekend camping trips and conferences.
- · Judge for Georgia National Fair events
- · Moderate for the Georgia National Fair Challenge Bowl.
- · Judge District Project Achievement events in areas ranging from cooking and sewing, to public speaking, and various talents.
- · Join the Houston County 4-H Volunteer Association to lend a hand for special events and projects.
Long-Term Volunteer Opportunities:
- · Coach Competitive Teams in various areas ranging from BB and Air Rifle Teams to Horse, Livestock, Wildlife, and Land Judging Teams.
- · Lead a Project Club or Community Club, for example teach 4-H youth to play basketball, knit, or visit schools to lead after-school club meetings.
- · Join the Houston County 4-H Volunteer Association to help plan special events, recruit other volunteers, or grow Houston County 4-H.
Ready to join? Great! Contact the Houston County 4-H Office by calling 478-987-2028. The steps below outline the process you can expect in becoming a volunteer:
- An in-house meeting will be set up to evaluate your interest and fit for our organization.
- If the Houston County 4-H Staff thinks you’re a good fit for a volunteer opportunity, you must then pass University of Georgia screening measures
Be sure to let others know about volunteer opportunities at Houston County 4-H by Tweeting or sharing this post on Facebook!
Every day, 4-H youth members across Georgia are working hard to make a difference within their community. Engaging in activities which make the community a better place to live, work, and learn is an important part of the 4-H experience. As the video below illustrates, when the Twiggs County Library was badly damaged by a lightning storm, 4-H’ers of Central Georgia stepped up to the challenge of restoring both books and hope to Twiggs residents. If you’re ready to make a difference where you live, become a part of 4-H today.